Friday, July 1, 2016

The Social Media of our Lives

THERE was a time when mom and dad used to admonish us children for watching too much TV. Junk, they said. I may have did the same to my kids when they were little but not as strict as my dad was. But then these days in the Age of the Internet by way of Social Media, I'd rather motivate teen-age and 20something youths to watch TV series like “Homeland,” “The Americans,” “Hell on Wheels,” and “The Newsroom” than spend time on Facebook trapped in those silly political so-called discussion.
          Most people tend to simply shoot one-line blurbs that diss or praise without the “why.” At least, the shows that I mentioned offer compelling arguments and well-formulated/researched infos very significant in discussion and dialogue, especially in educating the young.


          I grew up and was trained as a journalist. Facts. Not even my dad when I was a teen-ager could sway me with sermonized ramblings about stuff. I will not debate him but I had to investigate further. Facebook election-related hubbub is replete with whimpers and echoes that may seem harmless. But due to the amount of false information in the guise of funny memes and “websites of folly” plus exchanges of barbs that stream in and out of the Homepage, these become dangerous. I am not siding with any political candidate or preaching a Church creed or something. I just have to admit that many times I am moved to ask, “Really? Tell me, send me links and data and stuff to support your allegation.” None. The person in question either scoots out, falls silent or continues to coax me to a sidewalk grubble.
          Since high school, I've always loved sociopolitical, economic and cultural discusions, especially from historical and scientific point of view. My college years (while already a professional journalist) were backstopped by endless soirees and convergences where all you talked about were stuff around, mostly political. And I always get good words, great knowledge. When I shared something that needs to be corrected, I wasn't called a “moron” or “a dick.” Those around me offered additional infos. That was the way it was before.
          These days, I don't know. I really want to know more about people. But I'd like to listen to someone who's got something to say in 15 paragraphs than someone who's got something to spit out in 4 words. Maybe that's the problem—we've lost the patience to listen and the ability to speak. 

No comments:

Post a Comment