Tuesday, June 4, 2024

RECOMMENDED: Musical film. “Jesus Christ Superstar."

Musical drama, film and soundtrack. “Jesus Christ Superstar,” centers on the conflict between Judas and Jesus during the week of the crucifixion of Jesus. The original album versions were released in 1970 (U.K.) and 1971 (U.S.) The libretto was written by Tim Rice, with music by Andrew Lloyd Webber. The 1973 film, based on the rock opera, was directed by Norman Jewison.



       Sure, Deep Purple’s Ian Gillan, who sang the original Jesus part in Britain, was more “rock” solid; who’d argue that? But Ted Neeley’s “imperfect” interpretation seems more apt to the pale, intense, but powerful voice of Jesus of Nazareth (per characterization as text) or the man on a mission behind the religious myth. Neeley’s rendition of "Gethsemane (I Only Want to Say)" wasn’t God howling but a trapped and beleaguered human being crying out for fair play. 

       "Gethsemane (I Only Want to Say)" is the apex of the entire opera. I am sorry, not the mawkish "I Don't Know How to Love Him" or the finale "Superstar,” performed by Yvonne Elliman and Carl Anderson with sentimental gusto and jazz/rock panache, givens. 

       The film easily invited criticism from a few religious groups for its “groovy, hippie-esque” retelling of The Greatest Story. But hey this is a welcome reading to me, which doesn’t diminish the spiritual impact of JC’s activism. Spunk isn’t sacrilege. The mod-pop glitter, “scandalous” sets that’d cut like insult? Nope. The wild dance sequences and the sensual bite vs Judas’ uptight groan of “Everything's Alright” was just alright with me. 

       I never fail to listen to both LP versions. And watch the movie. It doesn’t make me religious. Just on track of JC’s down-earth dissent. With some cool rock music, oh yeah. I first saw the movie in 1974 I think with my three of my high school buddies; yet each time I watch it (on DVD), it’d seem I am watching it the first time. 🎬🎭🎬

No comments:

Post a Comment