Tuesday, October 15, 2024

Disaster Days Stories.

Responses to posts in Friends’ page/s. 


"INSTAGRAMMERS instagramming in a very instagrammable place" while some parts of the world are sunk in grief--is a fact of life. They are not here so although they probably know, what must they do? Weep all day? I was born and grew up in an island nation that is pummeled by typhoons and other natural calamities dozens of times yearly. We bury thousands each time a killer typhoon hits. 



       But would I feel a bit pissed that my cousin in New York City or uncle in London are comfy like royalty and partying like crazy? Before Helene hit, the world was already flooded with news of wars in Ukraine, Gaza, Lebanon then there's strife in Sudan and Haiti. These countries don't have sturdy safety nets and trillions$ budget signed for this and that project like the U.S. is capable of, just like that. 

       In most instances, these poor countries' leadership makes their life more miserable than better, regardless of foreign aid. In Asheville, we got 2 or 3 days of tragedy; they get several bombs dropped at them, how many times a week? They toss their dead in mass graves. 

       Yes, I see friends in Asheville who lost their house, some died. And I see grim flashbacks of home in disaster months. It feels like the first time. I stare at the ceiling, outside, blank. Then I see people somewhere in bliss and comfort. Instagramming. But then, watching them doesn't make me feel bad. It's the contrary. I see life, I see joy. That light warms me. Gives me hope and thankful that I am still here. 🌬💨💓


[Photo credit: WFMY News 2.]


No comments:

Post a Comment